Monday, December 20, 2010

More About Me Monday

I'm pretty sure that I'm not your typical blogger, so for the next little while I'm going to dedicate Mondays to a little more about me.

I am 22 years old and I live in the Southeast region of the USA. I am a Chabad Chassidic Ultra-Orthodox Jew. I've been married about two years and we have a 4-month-old baby. Today I'll give you a look into how I grew up. Though I now live in the South, I'm actually a Long Island girl. Neither of my parents grew up religious; they became religious together after they got married, through an outreach organization called Chabad (more on that later). I went to a very small Jewish day school until after fifth grade. The following year, my class disintegrated. One kid went back to public school and one moved. That left just me. I refused to go to another Jewish day school in the area. Instead, I started boarding by a family in Brooklyn and going to a Chabad school there. I was 11 years old. I would be driven to Brooklyn early on Sunday mornings (Yes, we had school on Sundays. Every Sunday. Torture.) and come home on Friday afternoons after school in time for Shabbat. A one way drive was an hour and fifteen minutes. I continued doing this all the way through high school. The year after high school, I went to a Jewish post high school program in Israel. After that, I spent a year in a small-ish Southern town, which eventually led me to the man I would marry. More about that next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment